Saturday, September 3, 2011

Missing VMware and VMworld 2011

Congratulations to VMware on another overwhelmingly successful VMworld -- VMware demonstrated once again where to find the center of the technology universe circa 2011.

I left VMware, hence missed this event live for the first time since 2005.  However VMware and VMworld will always have a special place in my heart, as I was fortunate enough to work at VMware for 9 years and serve VMworld in 6 consecutive years.

1) I witnessed vSphere grow from nowhere to one of the most critical infrastructure software on the planet.   I also made my own impact in getting 250,000 customers and majority network ecosystem to embrace virtual networking.  What more one can ask from such a rewarding and thrilling journey?

2) During the 9+ years, almost every one of the ESX/vSphere pioneers taught me so much about building a rock solid system software via thorough code and design review;  every networking team member from interns to PE/Sr. Staffs gave me fresh perspectives day in and day out; engineers from our Beijing R&D center kept reminding me what a passionate and intelligent team we have 5000 miles away; Charles and Steve et al showed by example there is so much innovation in seemingly boring managerial tasks; Ray, Andy, Raghu et al encouraged me to be bold and think big.   I simply cannot thank everyone enough for your mentoring and blessing along the journey!

3) I also got to see my colleagues grow not only career-wise but also in their lives outside work: 9-year is long enough for me to see many then young college graduates getting married and now raising a family; many coworkers' little boys and girls now grown up and getting ready for college time.   We achieved milestones one after another -- I miss you all and I will continue to cheer and pray for you.

4) I had privilege to give talks on virtual networking in front of many hundreds of passionate customers every single year prior to 2011.  I was on vacation this year but AFAICT from blogsphere, there is probably more excitement about virtual networking this VMworld!  Congratulations again to the networking team at VMware.

Even though I have already moved on, I am looking forward to seeing my alma mata company accomplish a bigger goal, my brothers and sisters keeping having fun & excitement for a very long time to come, and I do want to be a proud and grateful VMware alumni for life time.

No comments: