Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Secrets" about Coaching (1/3)

I ran the entire networking product strategy and execution at VMware for many years.  My team accomplished a lot in fulfilling the server virtualization needs and furthermore initiated a journey to disrupt the networking and network security industry.  It has been an absolutely amazing experience for me and recently I took some time to reflect upon what I learned.


Among other things, “coaching” stands out as something I feel extremely proud of and also what I have learned tremendously too.   In a series of three articles, I plan to discuss some unintuitive truth about:
  1.             Why is coaching so critical
  2.             Coaching framework
  3.             Tips for coaching engineers

Why is coaching so critical?

 CFO: "What happens if we invest in developing our people and then they leave the company?"
 CEO: “What happens if we don't, and they stay?”  :)

Joking aside, it is important to note that developing people is only a part of the coaching exercise and retention is only one of many reasons leaders want to do coaching.


We live in a world that “status quo” is not an option and “steady state” won’t get us anywhere, so an important trait of the leader is to make the people in the organization better day in and day out.  Otherwise, the organization and people will be falling behind and obviously people will vote with their feet if the organization is not making them better and competitive.

It is a critical job of leaders to coach their people and make them and organization better.

    No comments: